- Arora, David. Mushrooms Demystified. Berkeley, Ca.: Ten Speed Press, 1979. A comprehensive guide to the fleshy fungi of the central California coast.
- Berger, Karl. Mycologisches Worterbuch in 8 Sprachen. Stuttgart,
New York: Gustan Fisher Verlag, l980. Common European names for mushrooms in eight languages.
- Bo, Liu. Fungi Pharmacopoeia. Oakland, Ca.: Kinoko Co., l980.
Mushrooms used in Chinese medicine.
- Bornholdt, Mariana D. "Three Classical Mushrooms of Oriental Cuisine."
In McIlvainea, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 29-32. Ellsworth, Ma.: North American Mycological Assn., l980.
- Delmas, Jacques. "Truffles in France." Preceding reference, pp. 5-7.
Escoffier, A. The Escoffier Cookbook. New York: Crown Publishers, 1969.
A guide to the fine art of cookery.
- The Fanny Farmer Cookbook. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, l984.
Basic information on cooking.
- Findlay, W.P.K. Fungi: Folklore, Fiction and Fact. Eureka, Ca.:
Mad River Press, l982. Historical background for those interested in mushrooms.
- Gray, William D. The Use of Fungi As Food and in Food Processing.
Cleveland, Oh.: CRC Press, l970.
- Griffiths, D.A. Fungi of Hong Hong. Hong Kong: Government Printer,
l976. A guide to poisonous and edible mushrooms found in Hong Kong, with emphasis on medical uses.
- Harris, Bob. Growing Shiitake Commercially. Madison, Wisc. 53705:
Science Tech, 1986. A comprehensive manual in cultivating Shiitake.
- Harper, Herbert. Harper's Mushroom Reference Guide and Check List.
Herbert H. Harper, 8975 North Shore Trail, Forest Lake, Mi. :
55025, l985. A comprehensive summary based on field guides of
fungi found in the United States.
- Lang, M., and Hora, F. B. Guide to Mushrooms and Toadstools. New
York: E.P. Dutton, l963. A good resource book for Europe and the East Coast.
- Lincoff, Gary. H. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North
American Mushrooms. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, l981. Many species listed.
- Lincoff, Gary, and Mitchel, D.H., M.D., Toxic and Hallucinogenic
Mushrooom Poisoning. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Co.,
l977. A handbook for physicians and mushroom hunters.
- March, Andrew L., and Kathryn G. The Mushroom Basket. Bailey,
Colo.: Meridian Hill Publications, l982. Extensive lists of foreign common names.
- Miller, Gloria Bley. The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. New
York: Atheneum, l966. An excellent general Chinese cookbook.
- Miller, Orson K., Jr. Mushrooms of North America. New York:
E.P.Dutton, l978. A good guide to eastern mushrooms.
- Montagné, Prosper. Larousse Gastronomique. London: Paul Hamlyn,
l961. An encyclopedic reference for food, wine, and cooking.
- Mori, Kisaku. Mushrooms As Health Foods. Tokyo: Japan Publications
Trading Co., l974. Recent scientific investigations into the
properties of shiitake mushrooms.
- Mushroom: The Journal of Wild Mushrooming. P.O.Box 3156, University
Station, Moscow, Id.: 83843. A quarterly magazine dealing with
- Mushroom Newsletter for the Tropics, Hong Kong: Friendship Printing
Co., Ltd. c/o Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shotin, N.T. A publication of the International Mushroom Society for the
- Pilát, Albert. Mushrooms, Amsterdam: H.W.Bijl, l954. A guide to
mushrooms of Czechoslovakia, with excellent illustrations.
- The Revolutionary Health Committee of Hunan Province. A Barefoot Doctor's Manual. Seattle, Wa.: Madrone Publishers, l977. A guide to traditional Chinese and modern medicine.
- Rinaldi, A., and Tyndalo, V. The Complete Book of Mushrooms. New
York: Crown Publishing Co., l972. Beautifully illustrated. Worth having
in your library. Describes how mushrooms are used in Europe.
- Rocky Mountain Mushroom Cookbook. Denver, Colo.: Cookbook
Publishers, l981. The Cookbook of the Colorado Mycological
- Rombauer, Irma, and Becker, Marian Rombauer. Joy of Cooking.
Indianapolis, Ind.: Bobbs-Merrill Co., l975. Almost everything
you ever wanted to know about cooking.
- Scates, Kit. Simplified Picture Key to 55 Genera of Gilled
Mushrooms. Post Falls, Id.: l977. A useful one-page key for
quickly recognizing genera on mushroom forays. A must for
- Sharp, Charles W. Kitchen Magic with Mushrooms. San Francisco, Ca.:
Mycological Society of San Francisco, l963. Many recipes in Wild
About Mushrooms were taken from this cookbook.
- Shimizu, Kay. Cooking with Exotic Mushrooms. Tokyo: Shufunomoto
Co. Ltd., l977. This book discusses many Asian mushrooms.
- Shiosaki, Pauline. Oft-told Mushroom Recipes. Seattle, Wa.: Puget
Sound Mycological Society, l969. Excellent recipes for review.
- Stamets, Paul, and Chilton, Scott. The Mushroom Cultivator.
Olympia, Wa.: Agarikon Press, 98507, 1983. A practical guide to growing mushrooms at home.
- Theirs, Harry D. California Mushrooms: A Field Guide to the
Boletes. New York: Hafner Press, l975. An excellent
reference for West Coast boletes.
- Trappe, James, M. "Truffles in North America." In McIlvainea, Vol. 4, No.2,
pp. 3-5, Ellsworth, Ma.: North American Mycological Assn., l980.
- Walter, Tony. Mushrooms & Man: An Interdisciplinary Approach to
Mycology. Albany, Or.: Linn Brenton Comm. College, l977. A
comprehensive symposium covering many aspects of mycology,
presented by the leaders of American mycology.
- Wild Mushroom Cookery. Portland, Or.: Oregon Mycological Soc. One of the
early mushroom cookbooks. Very useful.